At Toyota, we’ve always been proud to be active members in the communities where we work and live, helping however and whenever we can. August and September were difficult months, with several natural disasters hitting communities across the country, U.S. territories and elsewhere in the Caribbean.
Toyota Provides Assistance in Puerto Rico
Our Toyota families weren’t left untouched. Toyota de Puerto Rico Corp. (TdPR) and Toyota Credit de Puerto Rico in San Juan suffered severe damage to their vehicles and parts distribution centers and offices respectively following Hurricanes Irma and Maria. After significant help, the offices reopened this past week in a limited fashion and, most important, all TMNA and TFS team members are safely accounted for—though some have experienced significant loss.
As for what Toyota is doing to help team members in Puerto Rico:
- The company delivered 53,000 pounds of supplies—including food, first aid supplies, water and diapers—to team members.
- Team members received a $500 relief cash payment.
- Team members continued to be paid while Toyota facilities were closed
- Team members will receive remittance for lease payments through the end of the year.
Toyota is also contributing more broadly to the Puerto Rico relief effort. Toyota companies are providing approximately $420,000 of support for Red Cross efforts in Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. This includes:
- An in-kind donation of three 4x4 vehicles and a fleet of drivers to help transport supplies to relief centers at a value of $140,000.
- An additional $280,000 contribution from TMNA and TFS to the Red Cross
TFS is also offering payment relief options to Puerto Rico customers, similar to those provided to victims of Hurricane Harvey, to further assist the local economic recovery.
Hurricanes Harvey & Irma Support Continues
Elsewhere, Toyota continues to help with Hurricane Harvey and Irma disaster relief as well. Toyota4Good supplemented the company’s efforts by offering volunteer and giving opportunities, and team members responded with tremendous support. In total, together with the amount Toyota has matched, we’ve delivered more than $600,000 in support of Hurricane Relief so far.
Ways to Get Involved
Still looking to help out? As we know, the recovery process for those affected is just beginning. Think about making a donation to one of our great national partners listed below – and remember, Toyota will match your donation! Make sure to log it on the Toyota4Good portal (or if you work at an NAMC and do not have access to the portal, send a copy of your receipt to Toyota4Good@toyota.com and we’ll take care of it).
Here are a few partners who are helping with both immediate and long-term rebuilding:
- The American Red Cross and SBP (St. Bernard Project) have teams on the ground to help with disaster response, and they’ll continue serving these communities throughout the rebuilding process.
- We’ve partnered with Gulf States Toyota, Southeast Toyota, Toyota and Lexus dealers, and others to provide relief effort to victims of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma by supporting the American Red Cross and SBP.
- The Boys and Girls Clubs of America had facilities hit hard in Houston and Puerto Rico. We’ll look for continued ways to help support them so they can get back up and running in order to continue offering shelter to local youth.
We know there is more still to do to help these communities get back on their feet. Please join us in these ongoing efforts to help our neighbors when they need it the most. And thank you for your support – it truly is incredible what we can accomplish together.